Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Rest.

A photo posted by A M A N D A (@mandalyn93) on

I suck at resting.

I'm a go-go-go-go total Type A personality.

I schedule rest into my planner by blocking out certain nights and weekends to just chill and spend by myself.

And I know this can't be good for me. I'm an ambivert who has a hard time striking a balance between tons of meaningful human interaction and a fair amount of solitude.

So, I'm pretty sure all the go-go-go I've been participating in lately has contributed to a gnarly cold that sent me home from work on Tuesday.

I really don't like missing work, but when I have a runny, stuffy nose, cough and can't focus--you better bet I'm going home. (That, and one of my coworkers actually told me I should go home to rest.)

Which means I got to practice resting yesterday. I drank a lot of hot lemon ginger water with honey, I diffused some essential oils (the internet said lavender, clove and peppermint are a good blend for colds, and I have to agree), I listened to my favorite Bon Iver album and I did a whole lot of napping.

Aaaaaaaand I finished the first season of West Wing.

While I wouldn't consider these things to be restful normally (I like participating in what some call "active rest," or doing things that are creative and replenishing as a form of rest), it was exactly what I needed.

If you're like me and don't know when to stop moving or doing things, take some time this week and just chill. Binge on your favorite Netflix show. Drink tea. Nap. Listen to music. Take a shower in the middle of the day just because you ~feel like it.~

However rest manifests itself to you, do it before you end up like me--exhausted with a cold--and are forced to stop and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment