Friday, January 29, 2016

About my hair...

Shoutout to Caleb Thal Visual for all these photos
 So, I've got this minor problem.

I really really really love my hair.


Like, it may legitimately be a little bit too much love. You could almost call it vanity. I prefer to label it as self-appreciation.

I love how it looks when I let it air dry after I wash it. I love the curls. I love the natural ombre I have from spending all summer in the sun but then having my hair grow in naturally darker season by season. I love that I can get away with not washing it for three or four days (provided I don't work out or produce sweat or whatever).


But I also have another problem--I have horrible dead and split ends. You can't tell in these photos because they're a year old...and my last haircut was about a week after these photos.

That's right folks. I've committed the sin of not having my hair cut for a year, and now I need to pay my dues or serve penance or whatever.

I need a haircut, and I need a haircut bad. But I don't want to just get the dead ends chopped off. That's going to leave my hair at an awkward below the collar bone but above the armpit length, and I hate that length.

So I'm actually thinking about chopping most of it off.


A photo posted by A M A N D A 🌵 (@mandalyn93) on

After posting this photo on Instagram, one of my friends mentioned how cute she thinks I'd look with short hair.

grrr. how dare you say that. i love my long hair.

But that got me thinking--I can love my long hair and live without it. Right?

Hair is hair. It grows back, unless you die before it gets the chance to. If I die young, please buy me a wig for my funeral and it better look as damn good and natural as the top photo in this blog post, and then donate it to a young adult with cancer.

As I was saying...I've been thinking about cutting it short. The last time I had it short (shoulder length, or just a little bit above the shoulder) was three years ago, and I liked it a lot then.

I was also a very different person, then. And I feel like my long hair is more indicative of my current personality. But I also want to try something new, as this haircut is incredibly similar to the one I had at sixteen when I had my photo taken for my drivers license.

So, readers--I'm actually going to put this in your hands. I want your opinion. Should I cut my hair? Should I not? Why? Vote on twitter or comment below.


UPDATE: I did it! I cut my hair super short and I love it so so much. It feels like me, like the grown up person I'm becoming and growing into.


No comments:

Post a Comment